Saturday 28 February 2009

Friday 27th Feb - Varsity, Flyering and Hustings.. oh and a dragon in a gown!

Well as I said yesterday - Access was appearing on the front page of one of the papers, and it did - nice and big on the front cover of Varsity.

Today was probably the busiest day for campaigning so far - started nice & early with postering/flyering - I had such high hopes when I left my room this morning - blue sky, sun is shining - and then as luck would have it - as soon as I get ready to flyer - in goes the sun and out comes the clouds - typical!
I then thought it might be nice to actually make it to a lecture (2 this week so far!) - I'm sure I've forgotten how it feels to be studying law!

We had the most hustings in one night so far tonight - Magdalene, followed by St John's and then finished off in Kings Bar.
Not many questions emerged at the first hustings, but those that were asked included whether we would ignore private schools in the target talks campaign (which in case you were wondering, my view is that the focus has to be on state schools because of the general difference in terms of resources and careers advice but that private school students can play just as much of a role as those from state schools - to show that there isn't really any difference!)

Up next - St John's - it was a nice, cosy little atmosphere - so much that when I totally forgot what I was going to end on, I didn't actually feel as much of a fool as I thought I would! I think I'm beginning to realise that each hustings is going to be different and some are going to involve slip-ups. One question asked what aspect of the media we would target, and how we plan to improve links with teachers.

The final stop was Kings - with by far the biggest turn-out (maybe bar CUSU council) so far - the atmosphere was really good, and the venue actually worked well (even if I did have to use a microphone!)
Issues in questioning focussed on the Cambridge Ambassador's Programme, our views on fees, and even if there was any policy which we would like to bring to CUSU Council to do with Access.

And for those of you who were wondering - yes, there was a guy dressed up as a dragon, with a gown on, and no, I still have no idea why he was there!

Tomorrow is supposedly our day off - for me that translates to - catching up on sleep and actually doing some law work, whilst of course still keeping the campaign going!

Hustings resume at 12:30 at Jesus College on Sunday - hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment